To turn off email scanning
1. Exit any email programs that are running.
2. Start the AVG control center. To do that, click on the tiny red, black, yellow, and green square down by the clock on the taskbar, at the bottom-right hand corner of your screen.
3. Click on the large Email Scanner button (you'll find it on the right section of the control center window). Select 'Properties' from the bottom panel in the control center.
4. A window should open, with a tab labeled Plug-in at the top. Click 'Disable Plug-In' on the Plug-in tab.
5. Also click the "Configure" button and then uncheck all 5 options (scan incoming mail, scan outgoing mail, use heuristics, scan in archives, scan attachments).
6. Click OK, and OK again.
7. Close the control center. Open your e-mail program
and try again.