** Note: Outlook Express
is not the same thing as Outlook. If you're using the program with an icon that looks like an envelope with two blue arrows circling around it, that's Outlook Express. For instructions to set up Outlook Express, click here
To set up a new email account in Microsoft Outlook 2002 or later follow these steps:
1) Open Outlook. It may start a wizard automatically, in which case you may have to enter in your product key for Microsoft Office, and do several other steps. Eventually, you should get to the screen that asks for Server Type and gives you 5 choices: Microsoft Exchange Server, POP3
, HTTP, or Additional Server Types. Skip to step 4 and follow the steps from there.
2) Open the Tools
menu at the top and choose E-mail Accounts
3) Click on "Add a new e-mail account
" so the black dot is next to it, then click the button labeled Next.
4) Now it should ask for Server Type and gives you 5 choices: Microsoft Exchange Server, POP3
, HTTP, or Additional Server Types. Choose POP 3
. (Advanced users: If you want to do IMAP
, you can choose that instead and follow the rest of the instructions just the same as for POP3
). Click Next.
5) Fill out this page:
- For Your Name, type whatever you want people to see when they get e-mail from you.
- For E-Mail Address, type your e-mail address.
- For User Name, it should automatically put in the first part of your address.
- For Password, type your e-mail password.
- In the second column, for Incoming mail server (POP3), type in pop3.vcn.com . Or, if your e-mail address ends in something other than @vcn.com, replace vcn.com with whatever it ends with. For instance firstname.lastname@example.org would need to put in pop3.wavecom.net.
- For Outgoing mail server (SMTP) type smtp.vcn.com (or smtp.yourending, just as with the incoming server)
6) Click the More Settings button, then click the Outgoing Server tab. Put a checkmark by "My Outgoing Server (SMTP
) Requires Authentication". Click "Log on Using" so the dot is next to it, then for username, type your entire e-mail address, and for password, same e-mail password. Then click OK.
7) Click Next. Congratulations! Click Finish and your victory will be complete.