Running Stinger off of the Visionary Support Tools CD
Location on the CD
Recommended: If running Windows ME or Windows XP, you will want to disable the System Restore to be able to effectively use Stinger, consult "Disabling System Restore for ME" or "Disabling System Restore for XP" for more information.
- Insert the CD (on most machines it will automatically open)
- Left Click Stinger Virus Removal Tool (This will open the Stinger Program)
- Click Scan Now (The program is already setup for scanning for viruses)
- This will automatically scan through the viruses and repair any infected viruses
Caution: Files that are infected and not being repaired/deleted are most likely required Windows files, those that are infected on the computer might be beyond repair by using Stinger, virus repair tools, you will want to consult with a computer store about repairing a virus infecting windows directly.
Installing Stinger to the Computer
- Open the My Computer
- Right Click VCN Utilities CD
- Click Explore
- Open Antivirus Folder
- Right Click Stinger
- Click Copy
- Return to the Desktop
- Right Click the Desktop
- Click Paste
- This will install Stinger to your Desktop so that it can be ran from the computer rather than the CD, this is also the only way to run Stinger in Safe mode, see below for more details.
Note: The Stinger Tool is more effective if run in Windows safe mode; programs possibly infected with viruses would prevent the removal do to being active while running Windows in normal mode. When ran from safe mode a majority of non-essential windows files and programs are not open allowing Stinger to better remove the viruses from the computer, consider the article "Starting Windows in Safe Mode" to be able to get into safe mode.